The Japanese Sword Society of Hawaii (JSSH) is a Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the study and preservation of the Japanese sword and related arts. Established more than 50 years ago in Honolulu, our specific mission is to institute programs for the study and appreciation of, and promote and undertake activities to encourage the preservation of, ancient and modern Japanese Samurai blades, sword fixtures, armors, and related objects for their cultural, artistic, and historical values and aesthetic and expert craftsmanship.
Our general membership meetings are held at 1:00 PM on the first Sunday of the month, eight times a year, at the Honolulu Academy of Arts Building, Linekona Annex, Room 101; please check our on-line calendar for exact dates and other events. Anyone who is interested in the Japanese sword is welcome to attend - you do not have to be a JSSH member, although we hope that you will choose to join us as a valued member. If you have questions about a Japanese sword or related items, bring them to a meeting! Many knowledgeable collectors, and even a few experts, attend our meetings and are happy to give you advice. Our meetings are a friendly place to obtain opinions and ideas.
JAPANESE SWORD SOCIETY OF HAWAII 2011-2012
JAPANESE SWORD SOCIETY OF HAWAII
The name of the organization shall be:
JAPANESE SWORD SOCIETY OF HAWAII
PURPOSE AND POWERS
Section 1. The purpose of the Japanese Sword Society of Hawaii (hereinafter referred as “JSSH”) shall be:
- A non-profit corporation incorporated in the State of Hawaii, under Hawaii Revised Statutes Section 415B-34, later amended under Chapter 414D and exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- To preserve, study and appreciate the Japanese Sword and related artifacts.
- To organize collectors and students of the Japanese Sword and related arts.
- To promote the history, craft, education, care and maintenance of the Japanese Sword to the general public through public forums, exhibitions, schools, etc.
- To make and enforce rules to codify the responsibilities of the Members of JSSH to each other and to the public.
- JSSH shall not engage in any regular business of a kind ordinarily carried on for profit, nor shall any money or property of JSSH or any income there from inure to the benefit of any private individual member.
Section 2. The powers of JSSH shall be:
- To carry out such advertising, promotional programs, publicity and other activities as shall be deemed advisable for the general benefit of the members of JSSH.
- To make such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out the purposes of JSSH.
- To place into effect any and all rules and regulations made by JSSH.
Section 1. Eligibility:
- Membership is open to anyone regardless of race, religion, age or sex.
- The Board of Directors reserves the right to refuse membership to any individual they judge to be objectionable for any reason other than race, religion, age or sex.
Section 2. Full Membership:
- Members who have paid their annual dues and been accepted by the Board of Directors shall be deemed as a Full Member.
- Full Members may attend all meetings and events without paying extra fees, except for those special events that require an extra fee for everyone.
- Full Members will receive the Member’s Handbook, a monthly newsletter and any other handouts and teaching materials distributed at meetings.
Section 3. Honorary Members:
- The Board of Directors may bestow upon individuals, the status of “Honorary Member”. An Honorary Member has the rights of a Full Member for life and is exempt from paying any annual dues.
- Honorary Members shall serve as ‘advisors’ to the Board of Directors.
Section 4. Visitors and Guests:
- Visitors and Guests are welcomed to attend a limited number of meetings at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Section 1. Regular Meetings:
- Regular Membership meetings shall be held once a month at a time and place designated by the Board of Directors. The Secretary shall notify members by email individually or by posting of a calendar on JSSH’s website.
Section 2. Annual Meeting:
- The Annual Meeting of JSSH shall be held in December of each year at a time and place to be determined by the Board of Directors.
- At the Annual Meeting, the report of the Board of Directors and election of Officers/Directors shall be held.
Section 1. Full Member:
- Full members shall pay annual dues of twenty-five dollars ($25.00). Term shall be from January 1st to December 31st. All dues are non-refundable and not prorated. Ongoing members shall have until January 31st to pay their dues to remain an active Full Member.
Section 2. Honorary Member:
- Honorary Members are exempt from paying any dues.
Section 1. Number of Directors/Officers:
- Except as otherwise specifically provided, the business and affairs of JSSH shall be governed by the Board of Directors, five (5) in number.
- All elected Board of Directors, are ex officio officers of JSSH, which consists of a President, Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer (herein after referred to as “Board of Director” or “Director/Officer”).
Section 2. Election of Directors/Officers:
- Elections of the Directors/Officers shall be held at the Annual Meeting in December of each year. Any Full Member may nominate a Full Member from the floor during the election. Full Members shall nominate and elect a President, Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The election shall be an ‘election by show of hands’ with the winner by majority. Each elected member shall be a Full Member in good standing and shall serve without compensation.
- Any two offices may be held by the same person, except that the offices of President and Secretary and President and Treasurer, shall not be held by the same person.
Section 3. Term:
- All Directors/Officers shall serve for a one (1) year period, commencing immediately upon completion of the election until the next Annual Meeting the following year.
- Any Director/Officer may be removed by majority of the Directors/Officers with or without cause.
Section 4. Vacancies:
- Vacancies occurring for any reason in the membership of the Board of Directors/Officers, shall be filled by vote of the remaining Directors/Officers, and a Director/Officer so elected shall hold office for the unexpired portion of the vacant term.
Section 1. The President:
- The President shall preside at all meetings of JSSH and at all meetings of the Board of Directors. The President shall have the power to sign in the name of JSSH all contracts or other documents authorized by the Board of Directors. This authority will also require the joint signature of the Treasurer, unless specifically directed by the Board of Directors to be the sole signature necessary. The President shall ex-officio be a member of all committees. The President shall be the person to represent JSSH in all external dealings with any other organization or individual. The President shall schedule all meetings of the General Membership. The President shall perform such duties as shall from time to time be assigned to him by the Board of Directors, and shall perform such other duties as are necessarily incident to the office of the President
Section 2. The Vice President:
- The Vice President shall assume and perform the duties of the President, in the absence or disability of the President, or whenever the office of the President is vacant, until such time that the President is once again available or a new election has established in office a new President. The Vice President shall perform such other duties and have such other powers as the Board of Directors or the President shall designate from time to time.
Section 3. The Second Vice President:
- The Second Vice President shall assume and perform the duties of the Vice President, in the absence or disability of the Vice President, or whenever the office of the Vice President is vacant, until such time that the Vice President is once again available or a new election has established in office a new Vice President. The Second Vice President shall assist the Secretary and Treasurer as designated from time to time.
Section 3. The Secretary:
- The Secretary shall conduct all official correspondence of JSSH, keep a record of all meetings of the Board of Directors and the general membership, issue notices of all meetings to all members, issuing and publishing the JSSH Newsletter, and any other flyers, promotional materials and educational materials. All notices and other written materials may be issued by way of the internet. The Secretary shall safeguard all physical assets and equipment of JSSH, maintain the records of all members of JSSH, and any other duties assigned by him by the Board of Directors.
Section 4. The Treasurer:
- The Treasurer shall have the custody of all funds and securities of JSSH that may come into his hands. The Treasurer shall keep full and accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements of JSSH’s monies. The Treasurer shall deposit all money in the name and to the credit of JSSH in such bank or depository as the Board of Directors may designate. The Treasurer shall at all reasonable times exhibit his books and accounts to any officer of JSSH and render a written statement upon request. The Treasurer may pay all normal operating expenses of JSSH when those expenses need to be paid. Any other expenses above $200.00 require prior approval of the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall have the power to sign in the name of JSSH all contracts or other documents authorized by the Board of Directors. This authority will also require the joint signature of the President, unless specifically directed by the Board of Directors to be the sole signature necessary.
The fiscal year of JSSH shall commence on January 1st and terminate on December 31st. The Board of Directors shall, however, have the right to change the fiscal year should it be deemed desirable by them to make such a change.
These By-Laws may be amended by a majority affirmative vote of the Board of Directors, or by a twenty-five percent (25%) affirmative vote of the Full Membership. A proposed amendment by the Full Membership must be placed on the agenda of any regular meeting and members may vote in person or by petition. The President shall count the votes and declare the result of the vote at the meeting.
JSSH members shall be assumed to be ethical and honest individuals who are sincerely interested in the Japanese Sword, however, there may come a time when it is necessary to expel a member. The Board of Directors has the sole authority to expel a member of JSSH, including members of the Board of Directors. A majority decision of the Board of Directors is necessary to expel a member. The following are reasons for expulsion: 1) non payment of dues; 2) disruptive behavior; 3) misrepresentation of JSSH; 4) breach of Article II, as contained herein, purpose and powers of JSSH; 5) and any other reasonable actions for expulsion not contained herein.
If a member feels that he or she has been expelled unfairly, they may appeal the decision by obtaining the signatures of not less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the Full Members on a petition for appeal of expulsion. When the petition has been validated by the Secretary as having the required number of signatures, a hearing panel shall be convened to listen to the arguments of the member having been expulsed. The hearing panel shall consist of the entire Board of Directors and the active Honorary Members. The judgment to reverse or uphold the member’s expulsion will be the majority vote of the panel. This decision shall be final.
DISSOLUTION OF JSSH
If the Board of Directors decides that the purpose of JSSH has been fulfilled or JSSH has become moribund, or for any other reason, then they by majority vote, may dissolve JSSH and dispose of any all assets. The distribution of all money and assets of JSSH shall be distributed primarily to similar non-profit organizations, which may include another non-profit sword club, museums, educational institutions, or similar organizations.
AUTHORIZATION OF BY-LAWS
These By-Laws contained herein are approved and authorized as the current By-Laws of the Japanese Sword Society of Hawaii, and shall supersede any and all other previous By-Laws or documents. These By-Laws shall be in effect and authorized by the current Board of Directors by signature and date below.
Kenneth Goldstein, President Date
Glenn Hayashi, Vice President Date
Second Vice President Date
George Garcia, Secretary Date
Albert Keliikuloa, Treasurer Date